The first-ever American Poker Awards (APA) took place at the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills last Friday night and proved to be a tremendous success, far exceeding everyone's expectations. The event, put on by Global Poker Index CEO Alex Dreyfus, attracted a healthy mix of poker players and industry heavyweights, who all seemed to enjoy a day full of conferences, cocktails, and awards.
Among those to take home pieces of hardware were Team PokerStars Pro Daniel Negreanu, who was named Poker's Best Ambassador; GPI Player of the Year Dan Colman; GPI Female Player of the Year Vanessa Selbst; and Brandon Shack-Harris, who was named Breakout Player of the Year.
Here's a full list of those who received an American Poker Award:
- Poker's Best Ambassador: Daniel Negreanu
- GPI Player of the Year: Dan Colman
- GPI Female Player of the Year: Vanessa Selbst
- Breakout Player of the Year: Brandon Shack-Harris
- Lifetime Achievement Award: World Poker Tour founder Steve Lipscomb
- Industry Person of the Year: WPT President Adam Pliska
- Media Person of the Year: Online Poker Report's Chris Grove
- Tournament Performance of the Year: Mark Newhouse in WSOP Main Event
- Media Content of the Year: Brad Willis for PokerStars Blog's "WSOP 2014: Stages / Never Stop Fighting"
- Event of the Year (buy-in over $2,000): World Series of Poker Main Event
- Event of the Year (buy-in under $2,000): WSOP Monster Stack
- Charitable Initiative of the Year: "All In" for Kids Poker Tournament Presented by CHOP & WPT Foundation
- Innovation of the Year: Twitch for Live Streaming Poker
The American Poker Awards were preceded by the American Poker Conference (APC), which included a series of panel discussions over five seminars. Here's a look at some photos from the event, courtesy of the Global Poker Index:
For those interested in experiencing the APA secondhand, click here to see PokerNews' highlight video.