Ken Hunter Wins PlayNow Poker Championship Main Event a Second Time

Ken Hunter PlayNow Poker Championship Club Regent Casino

The Main Event of the 2017 PlayNow Poker Championship has a winner, and his name is Ken Hunter. Hunter claimed his second PlayNow Poker Championship Main Event title, topping a field of 163 entries to walk away with the trophy, championship ring, and a top prize of $43,740.

Hunter won the inaugural Manitoba Lotteries Poker Open back in 2011, besting a field of 212 entries to claim the first-place prize of $56,162. Since then, Hunter has racked up over $80,000 in career earnings and will cross the $100,000 mark once today's result gets posted.

Final Table Results

1Ken Hunter$43,740
2James Boyd$27,923
3Chase Raabe$18,849
4Trevor Gullivan$13,404
5Ferosh Tailor$10,001
6Dennis Rodriguez$7,793
7Liuio Fuianesi$6,313
8Joe Chan$5,289
9Harold Applebaum$4,563
10Drew Pirson$4,034

The $1,100 two-day championship event saw the field narrowed down to just 20 players when Day 2 kicked off Sunday morning at Club Regent Casino in Winnipeg. Hunter began the day in the middle of the pack and stayed around the middle even through the start of the final table.

With only the top 17 making the money, three players fell early into play, allowing a sigh of relief for the rest of the field. Alex Tong earned the unfortunate title of bubble boy after falling to Harold Applebaum who used those chips to secure a ninth-place finish.

Defending champion Jeff Harrison, who captured Main Event glory in May of this year, was the only player left on Day 2 who earned his buy-in through a $120 live-satellite Wednesday evening at Club Regent Casino. Harrison was hoping for a sweet return on his investment and snuck into the money but made an incorrect read and was eliminated in 15th place.

The start-of-day chipleader Ferosh Tailor continued to lead the pack all the way to the start of the final table after Matt Perin departed in 11th place. Tailor would soon be overtaken by Chase Raabe and eventually fell in fifth place. After 50 hands of action at the final table, Hunter had climbed to second in chips, slightly behind Raabe.

Overall, the final table lasted 136 hands. By the time heads-up play was reached, Hunter had a commanding lead over runner-up James Boyd. Boyd would score a double-up to tighten up the match, but a couple hands later Hunter sealed the deal. On the final hand, Boyd shoved preflop with ace-six and Hunter called with king-ten. A king on the flop would give Hunter the lead and it held to earn him the victory.

There's just one last event of this series still wrapping up at Club Regent Casino, and the action can be followed on our live reporting page.

What do you think?

More Stories

Other Stories